Snackification of Breakfast Studies 5 Success Factors

By , March 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Logo

http://www.foodservice-snacks-desserts.com/productsandbrands/industrynews/3stepstoofferbreakfastallday

amtk1878 Breakfast & Snack Foods.tif

 

THE FIVE SUCCESS FACTORS In October 2014, breakfast cereal sales fell 5 percent. Surprisingly, that money didn’t leave the breakfast segment. Instead the sales shifted to other breakfast products; products with more convenience and portability. “The change at breakfast is shown by the surging sales of snack-type products, although in fact the word ‘snacking’ is really now just a shorthand for describing single-serve convenient consumption,” wrote Julian Mellentin in her study The Snackification of Breakfast. Mellentin notes that anyone looking to gain a share of breakfast sales needs to consider the five success factors of breakfast snacks:

  • satisfying
  • convenient
  • delicious
  • energy boost
  • healthy

Luckily for vending operators, there are a plethora of new breakfast snacks that fit all of Mellentin’s criteria and are simultaneously shelf stable and dispensable.

REVIEW YOUR PLANOGRAM

Consumers get hungry in the afternoon. All vending operators can attest to that, but if you want your ‘traditional’ breakfast items to sell in the afternoon, too, you need to focus on why the consumers are eating at 2 p.m. Research has found that consumers turn to snacking as part of meal replacement. They may need an energy boost, they may not have eaten lunch, etc. Whatever the reason, operators need to turn to their planogram to ensure they are providing snacks such as bars, breakfast sandwiches or pre-packaged oatmeal that meet the five success factors. Remember, when merchandising a vending machine, 60 percent of your price points should contain the top selling items. Then operators should use the other 40 percent of spirals to provide customers with rotational items. Top-seller cost will be the highest but you can use rotational items to bring down the average cost of each price.

LOOK AT C-STORE, QSR

Convenience stores and quick-serve restaurants are two segments competing for the consumer dollar, but to beat them, you must join them. It’s very easy to walk into a c-store or QSR and view how they are satisfying breakfast and snacking trends with items offered. Ask, “Which breakfast snacks and how many are in the planogram?” Operators need not fear offering what might be considered a traditional ‘breakfast’ item, as those items will play a key role in the changing breakfast and snacking trend. “Much of the success at breakfast comes from creating propositions beyond consumers’ imaginations and then building consumer demand for them,” said Mellentin. Vending operators have a unique opportunity profit from snacking trends by offering all-day breakfast items.

Comments are closed

WordPress Themes